US starts investigating sunday drone strike which killed several kids

Posted on August 30, 2021, 5:50 pm
4 mins

WASHINGTON: US Central Command (CENTCOM) spokesman, Captain Bill Urban has said in a statement that the United States is investigating whether civilians may have been killed in an airstrike it launched to destroy a car laden with explosives in the Afghan capital Kabul.

“We are aware of reports of civilian casualties following our strike on a vehicle in Kabul today,” a spokesman, said.

“We are still assessing the results of this strike, which we know disrupted an imminent ISIS-K threat to the airport,” he continued, using an acronym for the Afghan branch of the ISIS group, which carried out a suicide attack at the airport on Thursday.

“We know that there were substantial and powerful subsequent explosions resulting from the destruction of the vehicle, indicating a large amount of explosive material inside that may have caused additional casualties,” Urban continued. “It is unclear what may have happened, and we are investigating further.

“We would be deeply saddened by any potential loss of innocent life,” he said.

The statement came after the media reported that 10 members of one family, including six children, were killed in Sunday’s airstrike in Kabul.

Meanwhile, the US said the strike on Sunday targeted Islamic State in Khorasan Province, (IS-K) suicide bombers intending to attack Kabul airport.

On the other hand, according to the victims family, the youngest child to be killed in a drone attack was two-year-old Sumaya, and the oldest child was 12-year-old Farzad.

While talking to the BBC, Ramin Yousufi, a relative of the victims “It’s wrong, it’s a brutal attack, and it’s happened based on wrong information,” added, tearfully that “Why have they killed our family? Our children? They are so burned out we cannot identify their bodies, their faces.”

Another relative, Emal Ahmadi, told the BBC that it was his two-year-old daughter who was killed in the strike.

Ahmadi said he and others in the family had applied for evacuation to the US and had been waiting for a phone call telling them to go to the airport.

That included one of his relatives, Ahmad Naser, who was killed in the strike and had previously worked as a translator with US forces. Other victims had previously worked for international organisations and held visas allowing them entry to the US.

Ahmadi added, US had made “a mistake, it was a big mistake”.

Earlier, As many as five rockets were fired at Kabul’s international airport on Monday but were intercepted by a missile defence system, according to witnesses and security sources.

According to US official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told Reuters that the rockets were fired early Monday morning Kabul time, though it was unclear if all were brought down by the defence system.

Initial reports did not indicate any U.S. casualties, but that information could change, the official said.

A security official who worked in the former administration that was toppled by the Taliban said the rockets had been fired from a vehicle in the north of the city.

President Joe Biden has set a deadline of Tuesday to withdraw all US forces from Afghanistan, drawing to a close his nation’s longest military conflict, which began in retaliation for the September 11 attacks.

Leave a Reply

  • (not be published)