Two teens arrested in Manchester as part Texas synagogue attack probe

Posted on January 17, 2022, 10:00 am
3 mins

MANCHESTER: The brother of Texas hostage-taker Gulbar has said that his brother was suffering from mental health issues.

While speaking to the Sky News, Akram’s brother Gulbar said family members spent hours “liaising with Faisal” during the siege, and that although he was “suffering from mental health issues we were confident that he would not harm the hostages”.

“There was nothing we could have said to him or done that would have convinced him to surrender,” Gulbar added.

“Faisal suffered from severe mental health illnesses. His brother wouldn’t have wanted to hurt anyone and he was extremely apologetic about the panic and terror that his brother had caused in Texas,” Gulbar said

It is to be mentioned here that Gulbar was part of the negotiation team with the FBI speaking to his brother. He was “trying to get him to back down and to ensure that no harm was caused”.

On the other hand, two teenagers have been arrested in Manchester after a British man flew to the US, bought a weapon and held people hostage during a 10-hour stand-off at a synagogue in Texas.

According to the details, 44-year-old Malik Faisal Akram, originally from Blackburn in Lancashire, was shot dead when the FBI entered the Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville on Saturday night.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) announced that officers from Counter Terror Policing North West had made two arrests in south Manchester.

They said the teenagers, whose ages and genders they did not immediately confirm, remain in custody for questioning.

The FBI’s field office in Dallas had earlier said there was “no indication” that anyone else was involved in the attack on the Congregation Beth Israel synagogue.

Meanwhile, US president Joe Biden branded the incident “an act of terror” and UK police are now working with authorities in America as part of the investigation.

Britain’s foreign minister Liz Truss also condemned hostage-taking as an “act of terrorism and anti-Semitism.”

Siddiqui, the first woman to be suspected by the United States of links to Al-Qaeda and a cause celebre in Pakistan and in South Asian jihadist circles, was detained in Afghanistan in 2008.

Two years later she was sentenced by a New York court to 86 years in prison for the attempted murder of US officers in Afghanistan.

She is currently being held at a prison in Fort Worth, Texas—about 20 miles (32 kilometres) away from the synagogue which Akram attacked.

Democrats Voice brings the perspective of democrats across the world under one space.

Leave a Reply

  • (not be published)