Prince Andrew sued in NY court for alleged sex abuse

Posted on August 10, 2021, 4:34 am
47 secs

Britain’s Prince Andrew was sued in New York court for alleged sexual abuse of a woman named Virginia Giuffre who says she was “lent out” for underage sex by late US financier Jeffrey Epstein.

Giuffre said the Duke of York, Queen Elizabeth’s second son, sexually assaulted and battered her about two decades ago, when she was 17 and Epstein was also abusing her.

“I am holding Prince Andrew accountable for what he did to me,” Giuffre, previously known as Virginia Roberts, said in a statement.

“The powerful and rich are not exempt from being held responsible for their actions,” she added. “I hope that other victims will see that it is possible not to live in silence and fear, but to reclaim one’s life by speaking out and demanding justice.”

Ms Giuffre’s lawsuit cites New York’s Child Victims Act, which expanded victims’ rights to sue alleged abusers.

This comes almost two years to the day that Epstein died in a New York jail while he was awaiting trial on conspiracy and child sex trafficking charges. The legal action also comes just days before the expiration date of a New York state law that permits alleged victims of childhood sexual abuse to file civil claims that might otherwise be barred by statutes of limitations.

Democrats Voice brings the perspective of democrats across the world under one space.

Leave a Reply

  • (not be published)